Dear Mark, and other interested scientists,

This fact of getting a large variety of methods to do the same thing,
in fact, worries me a lot. I very well know there exist many
techniques for analysis of similar type of material, and it all is
very interesting to see the different ways invented to do this - but
this from an academic point of view. In practice, a lot of these
different methods, or modifications on exsting ones, are leading too
different results on the same material. So, my worry is: It is not
only a matter of which method works best on your samples, but rather
which is the most reliable method in giving accurate and precise
values in the end. I am wondering if anything could be said about this
question after you have tested methods, and selected which is(are)
working well - it will improve a lot on the uniformity of values to
hear about your experience if really you go testing different methods
to find the best.....
Keeps us informed - that is a good idea, and consider this 'worry' in
reporting if you are able to do that. I (and others?) will be
gratefull for that.

Best wishes,
Pier de Groot.
Dr. P.A. de Groot
University of the Witwatersrand
Economic Geology Research Unit
Department of Geology
Private Bag 3
2050 Johannesburg
South Africa
Tel.    +27 11 7162564
Fax.    +27 11 3391697
E-mail  <[log in to unmask]>

Visit the combined HOME-PAGE of EGRU-Geology on the Internet:
         http://www.wits.ac.za/science/geology/index.htm