Don't know if this response is too late but in our laboratory all carotid
scanning is done from the top of the head, allowing for the elbow to rest on
the exam table or litter. I, too feel this gives you most control and am
always uncomfortable when having to scan an alterante approach in critical
care. All five techs here scan from the top of the table.

Barb Pizzo , RVT
St. Joseph Medical Center
Reading, PA