     Diana,

     Our Vascular Institute participated in this screening project.  It was
     a national project sponsored by the Society of Cardiovascular and
     Interventional Radiology (SCVIR).  Surgeons, vascular radiologists,
     technologists (both vascular and from radiology), and nurses
     participated.

     This was designed as a community service program to screen for PVD.
     At our site, either a nurse or technologist performed a brief patient
     interview to get a few details of medical history and symptoms.  Ankle
     and brachial pressures were recorded bilaterally and an ABI
     calculated.  A physician then spoke with the patient regarding their
     results.  The patient was given one of three recommendations:
     1)"no/low risk for PVD"; 2)"moderate risk factors and/or physiologic
     finding to suggest moderate PVD. Please discuss this with your
     personal physician at your next appointment"; or 3)"high risk for PVD.
     Please make an immediate appointment with your personal physician."
     If the patient gave us the name of their primary care physician, they
     also will receive a copy of these screening results.

     It was completely free for the patient.  In addition, we distributed
     informational brochures about PVD, smoking cessation, foot care,
     heart-healthy diets, etc.  We had 204 patients and it appeared to be
     well received by all.  I am not sure nationally about the statistics
     but could share then with you when I find out.

     We all realize that ABI's certainly tell only a very small part of the
     story.  This is why the physicians also did a brief review of the
     patient's risk factors and symptoms.

     I think SCVIR is planning to make this an annual event.  If you want
     more info their web site is www.scvir.org.

     Ann Marie Kupinski
     Karmody Vascular Laboratory
     Albany Medical Center