Kathy, I recently had to contact Empire Blue Cross / Blue Shield, the
intermediary carrier for New Jersey.  They sent me a query address
http://www.empiremedicare.com/search/emcdemo.htm that allows you to type in
the area of policy that you are searching for.  When I typed in noninvasive
vascular, I was quite surprised to find a third alternative for
reimbursement (2).  The policy reads as follows with an effective date of
1/1/99:

1. The technologist performing the study or the technologist providing the
direct supervision of the study has demonstrated competency by being
credentialed in vascular technology. Some examples of the appropriate
certification include the Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) credential
and the Registered Cardiovascular Technologist (RCVT) credential in vascular
technology; or
2. The procedure is done under the direct supervision of a physician who is
qualified to perform and interpret the study; or
3. The facility is accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the
Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL) or the NonInvasive Vascular
Ultrasound Accreditation of the American College of Radiology (ACR).
Sandy

Sandra L. Katanick, Executive Director
Intersocietal Accreditation Commission
8840 Stanford Boulevard, Suite 4900
Columbia, Maryland 21045
Phone: 410-872-0100     Fax: 410-872-0030
Web sites: www.icavl.org; www.icael.org; www.icanl.org