From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Douglas
O'Reilly
Sent: Monday, September 13, 1999 7:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Don's Party

As I read Don's query it was free of value judgements. The tenor of replies
on flownet suggest otherwise.
 I am an Australian Medical Imaging Technichian (we used to be
Radiographers-your RT equivalent) with a post graduate qualification in
vascular ultrasound. In our country people come into non-invasive vascular
assessment from a variety of backgrounds. Medical imaging, nursing and
medical science are most common professions from which vascular
technologists are recruited.
In Australia technicians from an imaging background tend to examine carotids
from the patient's side.
Those that are older and come from a nursing or science background are more
likely to examine from the head of the patient. Good technicians use
whichever position provides them with the most accurate results.
Either position, head end or side of couch, left or right hand, sitting,
supine or even on occasions standing are all scanning techniques that are
appropriate to the individual technician or the particular patient.
The aim is a quality scan performed in a fluent manner,

Doug O'Reilly