In a message dated 9/16/99 4:30:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I've only seen one tech (he worked for me for a short while a year
 or so ago, and was one of those I was glad to have leave.)  He scanned
 sitting adjacent to the patient, and leaned across the patient's chest, or
 breast, depending on the gender of the patient, and I repeatedly received
 complaints about his technique (too much pressure, painful pressure, a bit
 too intimate, too much pressure on the neck, etc.).   >>

After reading all these answers to this question, I think it certainly makes
a big difference whether the sonographer is a man or a woman.   Women
sometimes will object to a man's hand across their chest, I think.  As in
many other areas of sonography, women have more room as to what the patient
will allow them to do.

For myself, I started out scanning from behind the head, but switched when I
had to do other kinds of sonograms in the same environment.  I have had to
make many adjustments to my environments, and, consequently, I can scan with
either my left or my right hand.  This did not come easily, but now I wonder
at the fuss I made at the time!!!

The equipment has changed considerably since 1983 also, making it much easier
to perform the exam from in front of the patient.

For myself, I can see no difference in obtaining any view of any vessel.

Chacun a son gout!!!!

Diana Ross, RT, RDMS