This appears to be a trend in a number of hospitals in Texas and
Louisiana.  My personal belief is a combination of things:  1)
continuing need to cut operational costs on the part of hospitals, 2)
radiology's continuing effort to increase their participation in and
control over "imaging" services and 3) the work force need to be trained
and experienced in multiple modalities.  As to whether this will result
in better services or patient care remains to be seen.