We have Techs who scan from the side and Techs who scan from the head.  My thought has always been that comfort during the scan is the key to success, therefore, I do not dictate Tech positioning - as long as accuracy is maintained.  Personally, I scan from the head or the side and I use my right or left hand.  This minimizes strain for me and allows me to achieve a good result in spite of the amount of room I have or the position of the furniture for a bedside exam.  I have scanned this way for 16 years.

Cindy Roszel RVT, RDCS