Diana,
Legs for Life is a PAD program that is in the second phase of recruitment/research.  The people (I believe) performing the AAI's are either nurses, MD's or technologists.  I am not personally participating in this project but I do have some information about it if you would like.  Just for your information there is another PAD multicenter project called the Partners Program which is similar to Legs for Life except is does not advertise for patients, is primarily aimed at providing education for physicians, nurses, ancillary medical personnel and the patients.  (I am participating in this project).  Both of these projects were set up as screenings to determine the prevalence of PAD in the population.  They are not set up to be diagnostic for the degree/location, etc. of PAD.  I hope this helps you out.
Kim Cantwell-Gab
University of Washington
Division of Vascular Surgery