Anybody have any idea what the denominator is on any of these cases.  In
places where it is used, it may be used frequently, in which case the
incidence of problems may be low, or there may be a learning curve, etc.

A few years ago we thought there was a high incidence of cath complications
- when we checked, we found of the thgousands of cases that were done that
our cardiologists were not any different than similar published series.  We
also found the complication rate was related to volume of cases.

Anyways, though I am not a fan of these devices, I wonder if we are only
seeing and hearing about the bad cases and not about the thousands that go
home without problems.  On the other hand, there may be very few placed and,
even after a learning curve, they may have very high complication rates!

MAR

Michael A. Ricci, MD
Associate Professor of Surgery
Division of Vascular Surgery