More on this:

Thanks for the info RE: LADA
found 12 web pages with "latent autoimmune diabetes in adults" on Yahoo!!
http://ink.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=%22latent+autoimmune+diabetes+in+adults%22&
hc=0&hs=0

ADA has 4 major classifications:
http://www.diabetes.org/diabetescare/supplement199/S5.htm
see table 1

there are  2 subgroups for type 1:
immune mediated   (where LADA would probably be in)
and idiopathic

(Instead of type 1 ;  maybe type 1.A  or 1.B might be better;
or maybe less confusing  type 1 immune mediated  or type 1 idiopathic.....)

plus another very large 3rd group - Other specific types
with even more subgroupings...

same warning you gave if doctors are not aware of this grouping.....

>>> The Herndons <[log in to unmask]> 09/18 12:34 PM >>>
One can not always be literal when answering reference questions.  Of
course, WHO classifications don't use a "type 1 1/2".  Wouldn't they
have created a "type 3" classification?  Usually, when the existing
nomenclature is insufficient, clinicians or other observers of
phenomenom, struggle with a title until they can prove the validity of
their observations and get consensus among their peers.  Thus, "type 1
1/2" diabetes--otherwise referred to as latent autoimmune diabetes in
adults.

"LADA = latent autoimmune diabetes in adults

LADA is a form of autoimmune diabetes that starts in adulthood instead
of childhood. It is nothing more than type I diabetes (IDDM) starting
slowly after the age of 30-35.
15-20% of all diabetic adults may have LADA, and LADA may constitute as
much as 50% of non-obese adult onset diabetes. This form of diabetes is
sometimes known as "Type 1 1/2".
LADA patients can be very confusing to doctors who are not aware of this
possibility. The patients with LADA may look exactly the same as
patients with NIDDM, and it becomes frustrating trying to control the
BGs with diet and pills. The doctors may blame the patient for not
following the diet well, or for not taking the pills as they should. The
truth is that the islets of Langerhans are slowly being attacked by the
autoimmune process and stopping their secretion of insulin. "