>>         The Mount Washington weather report from Monday reported the
>>         observation
>> of northern lights.  Did anyone in Vermont see this?  How vivid was
>> it?
>>  How common is it to see this phenomenon in Vermont?  We Flatlanders
>>  don't
>> have the opportunity to see them, at least not to my knowledge.
>
>I wuz on my way back north after sailing in a race on the Cape
>Sunday night... about 9 pm, saw what I thought to be the Aurora.

Ditto. About 9:45 on the Essex to Charlotte Ferry, heading east. I was just
talking about them for some reason with my buddy Big Jim (not the Jumpin'
variety). We were looking out the windows of the car up at the Milky Way,
and we saw a bright beam of light bisecting it at a perpendicular. Jim
speculated that it was a big spotlight from somewhere in the Adirondacks,
but the reeb haze (Dinner at Old Dock after three days in the woods) soon
cleared and we decided there were no big spotlights in the Adirondacks.
That's when we jumped out of the car and ran around the ferry like idjits
looking for more. As good as I ever saw them, but I've never seen the
awesome shows described here. We woke Bumpher ghrll Alice, and all three of
us ran around like idjits checking them out.

By the time I reached the Big Hollow of Home, they were gone. But the Big
Hollow is no place for skygazing...