Marc Guido <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Dana can dispute me on this, but I can't exactly picture a bunch of NW
>skiers being ho-hum about the time of year, saying amongst themselves, "What
>new ski season?"

Those earning turns have already gotten a taste of freshies to come, but
opening day at Crystal is usually a heralded event amongst the hard-corps.
I can remember waiting in line to ski the heavy crud & mud of early November
in a rain slicker in the foggy drizzle with the scores of other grinning
idiots :-).  But it usually doesn't get _good_ until after Thanksgiving,
and it can get completely rained out at the lift served areas anytime before
X-mas in a bad year.  Hell yes those mossy-backed Northwesterners care what
time of year it is!

And that late summer skiing on gritty firny suncupped neve is... well...
"character building" at best.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop