Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]> writes:

        [about the Salomon Alaska Rocket]

>>I saw a pair in a shop in Fernie last March for $500 Cdn.   I had no idea
>the MSRP was $800 US.  Still, after flexing them I wouldn't have bought
>them.  They were the softest ski I've ever flexed, almost comically so, and
>the tail was just as soft as the tip.

I'd heard the same thing, but I've never seen them myself.

>If I were you I believe I'd look for a pair of the first year Snow Rangers.
>I'll bet they can be had cheap now and they will handle the occasional
>patch of blue ice that always seems to be hiding somewhere when skiing in
>the east.

I've seen several pair at swaps recently- even _new_ ones on the long side.
Wasn't too tempted though (had spousal-unit with me keeping reins tight :-).

I think Jerm would have fun on them though- I know several people who free
heel on 'Rangers with big smiles.

I'd recommend big-bad Seth Morrisons too (only the 204 will do- even for me)
as a super-smooth semi-fat semi-curvy crudbuster.  If I still lived in the
NW I'd own a pair (even with the garish graphix and bad-'tude marketing BS-
they really are pretty sweet in the crudly. Real "hero skis" like the
X-Screams- you can do no wrong.  Makes even crummy skiers like me look good!)

Now only if I could find a pair for $100 or less...

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop