>From:    "Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Steepness
>
>        OK, I hesitate to bring this up 'cuz some might get offended and
label it
>as a "Testofest" ... um,
>but .... to hell with them, let's have some fun!!  What's the steepest any
>of you folks have skied?  Me?, I don't have to scare myself -

Me too.  I'm the most conservative adventure skier I know.  If you want to
translate that as "wuss" I won't even take offense.  I am very
uncomfortable climbing stuff steeper than the low to mid 40s, although I
can ski it, so long as it's not ice.  I probably need some
climbing/mountaineering training so I'd be more comfortable with exposure.
OTOH, I don't know anybody else my age who skis this stuff.  My first trip
to Tuck's was at age 49.  Plain old fear has kept me from doing the lip or
the top of left gully or the chute at Tuck's.  I've done stuff that steep
in the west at places like Big Sky, Squaw, Mammoth, Whistler, etc.  On
those occasions I also had my son with me.  Alone, there's no way I would
have done them.  John has been on alpine equipment, and given that and the
self-preservation sense that increases as we "mature", I wind up calming
him down and he pumps me up.  We also know and trust one another's
judgement to an extent that it works.  I will go over a lip if John is sure
I can ski it.  I wouldn't do that on anybody else's say so.  The steepest
we have measured and skied was 48 deg. at Panorama.  I think we've probably
done a little steeper, low 50s, most likely in the Thunder and Lightning
chutes off the tram at Big Sky.  We caught the second tram of the morning
and at least 3 ft. of new light powder and the skiing wasn't difficult.
I'm loath to brag too much about it - just did though, didn't I?