Mike Bernstein suggested:

(snip)

> idea how to get along with the other hoards around them.  Say what you
> want, but I've found that 9 out of 10 people perched invisibly below a
> dip in a trail or around a corner are snowboarders.  Is that just my
> luck, or is it indicative of a wider trend?

Your rules of the road premise has some validity to it, which is why
the ski industry as a whole is working hard to get first time
snowboarders into clinics that include the r.o.r messages.

As for the blind drop off issue:  Yup.  It's dumb to do it, and it gets
back to the r.o.r. thing.  But there's a reason why snowboarders sit
below dropoffs -- and don't get me wrong, I ain't condoning this,
merely explaining:  it's a hell of a lot easier to get back up when
you're on something with pitch than it is on the flats.

Lots of kids don't really understand the risk to which this subjects
them -- and others coming downhill; I've found that if you approach
these kids in a nice way, they're pretty appreciative of the fact that
you just gave 'em a tip that could save their bacon.  As Mike points
out, the r.o.r messages we got as kids came from others around
us -- sometimes instructors, sometimes parents, but I certainly
remember talking about this stuff with complete strangers when I
was a pup.  Skiers usedta share their knowledge about this sort of
thing.

And one more thing -- again, I ain't staking a position here, merely
pointing something out -- it's up to us as the uphill skier or rider to
avoid stuff below us -- even if it's a numb teenage boy on a
snowboard sitting in a very stupid place.

Gotta go.

skip