Denis Bogan wrote:

> The comments about Ski Denton PA having "the steepest slope anywhere" got
> my attention so I did a search and turned up;
>
> http://www.skidenton.com/
>
> If you click on snow and then at the appropriate place on the trail map it
> describes a run called "Avalanche" which it says is the steepest in the
> east at 66 degrees.  To claim a figure like that is a dead give away that
> they don't know what steep is and don't know the difference between an
> angle in degrees and a % slope.  % slope = 100 X tangent of the angle.
> Arctan(.66) = 33 degrees, which is not half bad.

Thanks for this interesting tidbit of information Denis.  Math was never my
forte in school so I wonder if this example is just coincidence that there
exists a 2 to 1 ratio of percent to degrees or can this comparison be used in
all cases?  ie:  70 percent slope = 35 degrees, 60 percent = 30, 50 percent =
25 etc.   Thanks     Jim