Andy:  If I recall from several years ago, you need to "bake" off the
impurities with one or more cycles of heating, as Stephan and Tom have
suggested.  The manual ususally give some instructions for how to do this.
We never took the ion pump apart and manually cleaned it, but did end up
replacing one ion pump when we couldn't get it clean enough.

Christine Massey

>Andy,
>
>RE: my earlier comments.
>
>I should add that we cleaned the pump under the direction of a Micromass
>Engineer!
>
>Graeme
>

>At 09:01 12/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Andy,
>>
>>I have used an ion pump on our noble gas mass spectrometer for the past 5
>>years. I sometimes have problemss with small field emission currents within
>>the pump as a result of flaking and discharging edges within the pump grid.
>>The effects of these field emission are generally seen as an increase in
>>pressure which fluctautes even thought there is no leak within the pumping
>>system itself. I remedy this by increasing the voltage to the pump which
>>serves to burn off the edges etc. After this the pump works fine. Check your
>>manual and see what they say regarding Field Emission Currents and how to
>>rectify this.
>>
>>Tom

Christine A. Massey                     Phone: (802) 656-1344
Depts. of Geology & Education           FAX:   (802) 656-0045
University of Vermont                   Email: [log in to unmask]
Burlington, VT 05405-0122       K-12 Outreach/Perkins Museum/Cont. Educ.