At 03:49 PM 11/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Do any of you weather buffs out there know how accurate the Doppler
>precipitation radar is in mountainous regions. I ask this because every
>time people start reporting that it is snowing like made around Jay and
>Stowe, I look at the radar image and it doesn't show any precipitation
>where the mountain are.

There is a so called "moutain shadow" north and east of Burlington on the
Doppler radar loops that we see at Intellicast.com and on the weather
channel.  Since the radar can't penetrate the mountains, there are dead
spots where no data is collected.  It just looks like there is no percip,
but it is there.  In fact, when it's snowing hard enough around northern
VT, you can see lines of precipitation that seem to radiate outward from
the city of Burlington.  These are just breaks in the ridge line where the
radar can pass through.  If you can see snow falling around Burlington and
it just seems to stop to the east of the city, you can be sure it's snowing
even though the radar doesn't indicate it.

Now, what someone should do is throw a Doppler radar on top of Jay, so we
can study more closely and accurately the mysterious effects of the "Jay
cloud"  :-)

later,
Jon