So, here we go with bashing the environmental movement again.  Sigh.

> Leigh replies (and grabs his flak jacket):
>
> snip>
>
> It is almost laughable that some people are so niave as to think we
humans
> count for much in the grand scheme of life.

The next time I'm on top of a mountain on one of those crisp, sunny,
blue-sky days and find myself looking down on a layer of brown air, I'll
remember this comment and have a chuckle myself.  I remember seeing such
smog in California in 1959 and marveling at its novelty.  Sadly, brown
air now seems to be a fact of life almost everywhere.  I guess I'm naive
enough to suspect we humans might have something to do with that.

> shame.  Multiply this by any number of similar incidents every day,
and no
> wonder ski tickets cost so much.

Hmmm.  I could be wrong, but I suspect things like new lifts,
snowmaking, grooming, and insurance against stupid lawsuits are also big
factors in lift ticket costs.  I'm not saying such things are evil,
although I'm glad there are places like MRG and Alta that offer an
alternative to the $50+ lift tickets these enhancements generally
require.

But I fail to see how being sensitive to the environment and running a
profitable ski area are necessarily antithetical.  And I don't see why
expenses associated with protecting the environment at a ski area should
be any less legitimate than those for lifts or insurance.  Some people
might be happy skiing down a 3,000 foot man-made mountain with a fake
Tyrolean village at the base.  Personally, I prefer to ski in a more
natural mountain setting.