Bobbi;
Linda's advise was good.  You stand by what you believe is the lawful thing
to do and sounds like you have the support for that.
As for the screaming, Linda is again right, it goes with the territory.
However, you do not have to subject yourself to anyone who is rude.
Politely tell them you will discuss it with them when they are calm and
hang up, or leave the room if it is in person.  I realize that doesn't help
with the awful feelings that you are left with, but take pride in the fact
you are doing your job!
Kathy
At 01:51 PM 12/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Town Clerks out there!
>
>I am once again asking for your advice.
>
>I recently received a deed that references a "Preliminary Survey" dated May
>1993, recorded in Book 2, Page 63.  When I looked at Book 2, Page 63, I
>found a survey that does not say "preliminary" and is dated November 1993.
>I returned the deed to the seller's attorney, explaining that the survey on
>file is not the same survey that is recorded.
>
>He removed the word "preliminary" from the deed and returned it to me, but
>it still references a survey from May 1993, not the same survey that I have
>on file.  His letter indicates that the buyer's attorney feels that
>"although the reference is not entirely accurate", it is good enough for
>recording.  After speaking with David Grayck, who agreed that although a
>book and page is given, the survey recorded there is not the same survey
>that is referenced in the deed, I again returned the deed to the seller's
>attorney.
>
>The buyer's attorney called me today and SCREAMED at me, saying that it
>isn't my business whether the survey is correct or not, and since I am new
>I don't know what I am doing, and he is going to file a complaint with the
>Secretary of State's office, etc.
>
>I have two questions.  Would my fellow clerks have recorded the deed with a
>reference that the attorneys admit is "not entirely accurate"?  And more
>importantly, how do you handle it when an attorney is so blatantly rude and
>threatening and tries to bully you into recording something that you know
>is not permitted by statute?  Is there a code of conduct that discourages
>attorneys from harassing clerks?  I am six months pregnant and I think this
>kind of treatment is dangerous to the baby.
>
>Please let me here your thoughts on this.
>Thanks,
>Bobbi Brimblecombe

Kathy White
Barton Town Clerk