Our library serves a baccalaureate nursing program.  Part of our normal
operation is maintaining reserve materials (particularly AVs) that students
are assigned to use as part of their coursework.  Students sign out the
material - a manual system - and we black out the name when the material is
returned.  Lately, faculty members have become frustrated by the fact that
students are not always watching the videos they are supposed to watch, etc.
  We have been asked to keep the log of check-in/check-out so that the
faculty can look to see who has actually been doing their assignments - even
to the extent of asking each individual student to sign for a particular
video even when they come in little flocks to watch it together.  I am NOT
comfortable with this.  Normally, we regard this as confidential info and do
not share who has or has not borrowed or used *any* materials.  I also do
not like being asked to "police" students as to whether they're doing their
homework or not - this seems to me to be the students' responsibility, and
if they miss the material, it will show up in their exams and be dealt with
accordingly.  If they answer their exam questions correctly without having
seen the assigned video, well, then, they're either getting the info some
other way or the exams aren't asking the right questions.

An automated circ system, which we will be establishing soon, will help, but
for various reasons will not obviate the use of some signout cards, so I
won't be able to plead that the data doesn't exist. I am willing to give
aggregate data, e.g., six students did in fact watch this video, to help the
prof. decide on its value for future classes - but not name, rank and serial
numbers of users!  Would anyone like to share how they have handled this, if
it has arisen for them?  I don't want to be seen as obstructive, and I have
to work closely with faculty, so I would like to politely get out of this if
at all possible.  Thanks for any input!

Julie Stielstra MLS                      ph 708-763-6472
Director, Professional Library           fx 708-383-8783
West Suburban Hospital Medical Center
3 Erie Court
Oak Park, IL 60302