We resolved this issue by having Purchasing forwarding all reqs to the
library. Most people comply. Some order via phone (usually in response to
a sales call), but this is clearly a violation of hospital policy, and
most below the VP level comply when notified of policy.

I find it easier to deal with one dept (Purchasing as gatekeeper) rather
than many depts. However, this system has been in place for so long that
it's familiar to everyone.  Also, they're delighted to have someone else
(library) pay for their purchases, so this improves compliance.

Virginia Gale, Medical Librarian             Voice: 815-725-7133 x3530
Provena St. Joseph Medical Center            FAX: 815-725-9459
333 N. Madison St.                           [log in to unmask]
Joliet, IL  60435