Virginia and all,

My God, I could have written this response.  Our hospital has a very similar
set-up. And it IS difficult  to organize and time consuming. If I've told
every department once how to order a publication properly, I've told them a
million times.

Every department is "supposed" to send their purchase request to me for
verification, to check for duplication and to record for future reference
and then I send it along to Purchasing to be ordered. Is that how it
actually happens 85% of the time? Not by a long shot. I've given
presentations at our Administrative staff meetings, sent memos, called
people directly and yet they still don't get the procedure right. What are
you gonna do?

I suggest that if a hospital wants the library to coordinate the purchasing
of publications then they better make sure that all departments know the
right way to order. If not, you're going to have one big on-going headache.

Leann Isaac
Jameson Health System Library