Works great, that is, until a VP decides s/he is above following policy....I have our purchasing department fairly well trained to route requests to me if the department has sent  it directly to them.  But they quivver in their boots when a VP overrides policy!  And then there are those darned tear-out postage-paid postcards....(I could go on... 8-) )

Robin Alanen Mosher, MSL
Battle Creek Health System Library
165 N. Washington Ave.
Battle Creek, MI  49016
616-966-8331  fax:  616-966-8332

>>> Nichols William F Civ 96 MSGS <[log in to unmask]> 12/02/99 09:23am >>>
Granted it's a somewhat different situation for us with .mil
addresses (departments have to go by the procedures Or
Else <g>), but we have a procedure that we usually find works
(before anyone says anything, I admit I'm generalizing here <g>)
for us, especially for accountable materials (which most medical
books are due to their high cost threshold).

In many cases (in situations where all orders go through a central
logistics/supply location) SOP is usually in place that all orders
MUST go through the library or else supply will not accept them.
Even for orders that are being placed with a department's own
funds as opposed to the library budget, orders still must route
through the library for an official chop by the library staff before
the request is accepted for submission to a vendor.

Perhaps the solution is to get with your hospital's supply section
(assuming that departments can't order directly themselves) & have
such a provision put in place -- either you go through the library or
your request is rejected, simple as that.

Bill @ Eglin

 ----------
From: Jameson School of Nursing Library

set-up. And it IS difficult  to organize and time consuming. If I've told
every department once how to order a publication properly, I've told them a
million times.

Every department is "supposed" to send their purchase request to me for
verification, to check for duplication and to record for future reference
and then I send it along to Purchasing to be ordered. Is that how it
actually happens 85% of the time? Not by a long shot. I've given
presentations at our Administrative staff meetings, sent memos, called
people directly and yet they still don't get the procedure right. What are
you gonna do?