VTCLIMMET Archives

August 2011

VTCLIMMET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Scott Whittier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Climate & Meterology in Vermont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2011 20:56:32 -0400
As you all know...what a difference a few days, weeks and
months have made on the lake level.

As of midday today at the King Street Ferry Dock we were at
96.02 feet, more than 7 feet below our peak level of 103.20
feet on May 6th. Our lowest point in 2011 was 95.70 feet on
March 5th.

Thus we've seen the lake jump 7.5 feet from March 5th to May
6th then drop 7.18 feet from May 6th to August 3rd...AMAZING!!!

So, looking back at our database (Special thanks to Jason
Neilson here at NWS BTV), here are our top yearly lake level
differentials (Low to High)

1)8.21 feetin 1933

2)7.77 feetin 1939

3)7.70 feetin 1913

4)7.66 feetin 1909

5)7.58 feetin 1936

*6)  7.50 feet  in 2011**

In order to add to this figure for 2011, the lake level must
fall below 95.70 feet.

Historically, the lake level recedes another foot between
NOW and mid-Autumn, so there's a good possibility as long as
we don't see above normal rainfall.

Enjoy and any questions on this data, please check with
Jason - [log in to unmask] or myself.

Scott

Scott L. Whittier
Warning Coordination Meteorologist

DOC/NOAA/National Weather Service
Burlington Intl Airport
1200 Airport Drive
S. Burlington VT 05403-6028
802-862-8711 x223

www.weather.gov/burlington
The contents of this message are mine personally
and do not necessarily reflect any position of
the Government or the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration.