FW: ProBike/ProWalk 2000 announcement

"Bell, Amy" <[log in to unmask]>

Bell, Amy

Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:37:48 -0500

VT Bicycle and Pedestrian Interest Groups

Below is a conference announcement and call for abstracts for the 2000
ProBike/ProWalk Conference to be held in Philadelphia, PA in Sept. 5-9,
2000. I strongly encourage you or members of your organization to
consider attending. As you can see from the agenda the conference
topics have a wide appeal ranging from bicycle and pedestrian advocacy,
facility design, to public health and physical activity. As a first
time attendee to Pro Bike/Pro Walk in 1998 I found the conference to be
very helpful in assessing where VT stands in comparison to other states.
The Pro Bike/Pro Walk conference is held in the east every four years --
so don't miss this opportunity.

Sincerely,

Amy H. Bell
Bicycle & Pedestrian Coordinator
VT Agency of Transportation
National Life Building, Drawer 33
Montpelier, VT 05633-5001
(802) 828-5799 Phone
(802) 828-5712 Fax

Subject: ProBike/ProWalk 2000 announcement

NATIONAL CENTER FOR BICYCLING AND WALKING*
Contact: Bill Wilkinson or Peter Moe
1506 21st Street NW 202.463.6622 (phone)
Suite 200 202.463.6625 (fax)
Washington, DC 20036 [log in to unmask]
******
*************

NEWS RELEASE

ProBike/ProWalk 2000 Conference Planning Under Way

11th International Conference on Bicycling and Walking Set for
Philadelphia

Mark your calendars: we're going to Philadelphia! The National Center
for
Bicycling and Walking has contracted with the Lowes Philadelphia Hotel
-- a
landmark property in the heart of the City -- to serve as the
headquarters
for ProBike/ProWalk 2000. The conference and related training programs
will
take place between the 5th and the 9th of September, 2000. This is the
11th
meeting in this series that dates back to 1980.

According to NCBW's conference program coordinator, Peter Moe, the focus
of
this year's meeting will be on the actions needed to make communities
and
neighborhoods more bicycle-friendly and walkable, and how agencies and
advocates can make these things happen. "We want to explore how people
are
creating real change and spread these successes from community to
community,"
said Moe. "We have a lot of new players and partners in the mix, and we
need
to look for opportunities to expand our networks. Developing state and
local
coalitions of organization, agencies, and individuals who support more
bicycling and walking is critical to achieving real, sustained change."
ensure that the conference program will meet the diverse and
ever-growing
range of professionals and advocates expected to attend, the NCBW will
announce later this month formation of a "Program Advisory Committee."
"There
will likely be many new topics covered at this meeting, already, several
new
session formats have been suggested," noted Moe.

NCBW's conference manager, Bruce Burgess, also a Registered Architect,
is
especially excited about the venue. "When I was in architecture school,
organized a class trip to Philadelphia. One of the buildings we studied
was
the Philadelphia Savings and Loan Society building (soon to re-open as
the
Lowes Philadelphia Hotel)," Burgess recalls. "The building is among the
most
notable of the 20th Century International-style skyscrapers in the U.S."

Located on Market Street, the Lowes is two blocks from City Hall and
just
five blocks from Independence Hall. There will be a lot of history
directly
accessible when ProBike/ProWalk 2000 convenes in the City of Brotherly
Love.

It is fitting too, that the first conference of the new millennium will
feature new applications of technology. For instance, most of the
marketing
of the conference will be done via the Internet, and email will be used
provide interested individuals and registered participants with periodic

updates on conference planning. Participants will be able to register
online,
and consideration is being given to publishing the conference
proceedings on
CD-ROM.

No doubt there will be other innovations that will find their way into
the
program. Still, one thing remains just as constant in 2000 as it was in
1980,
when the conference series began: this is the best opportunity for
anyone
with an interest in bicycling and walking to gather with their peers, be
they
old friends or new. So, plan now to be in Philadelphia!

Call for Abstracts

The National Center for Bicycling and Walking is accepting abstracts of
papers proposed for presentation at the ProBike/ProWalk 2000 conference
to be
held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 5-9, 2000. Below is a
preliminary listing of program subject areas and topics.

Land Use and Community Planning
Bicycle and Pedestrian Facility Planning
Transportation Facility Design and Maintenance
Traffic Safety and Injury Prevention
Advocacy for Bicycling and Walking
Public Health and Physical Activity
Trails, Greenways and Open Space
Government Policy and Legislation
Professional Skill Development

To submit an abstract, visit the "Conference" section of the NCBW's
website,
www.bikefed.org, and use the on-line submission form (recommended).
Provide
your complete contact information as well as that of co-presenters, and
cut-and-paste an abstract of 250 words or less into the on-line form.
Abstract submissions must specify the intended audience(s) and what
learning
objectives the presentation is designed to achieve.

Or, download a printable submission form or request a hard copy by
calling
the NCBW at 202.463.6622. Submitters will receive a notice that their
entry
has been received. Abstracts should be submitted by Monday, February
14th. If
you have specific questions related to the program, contact Peter Moe
via
email at [log in to unmask] or by phone at 202.463.6622.

As a part of the outreach and refinement of the conference program,
potential
participants are encouraged to send comments to the NCBW on the types of

topics, sessions, and speakers that would be of most interest to you. We

expect to have some different types of sessions (e.g. more
discussion-based
forums) in response to input we've already received.

[*The National Center for Bicycling and Walking is a program of the
Bicycle
Federation of America, Inc.]