]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  April 2000

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L April 2000

AMTRAK $5 TICKETS SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS APRIL ON VERMONTER

Tony Redington <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Apr 2000 10:29:27 EDT

        The long-awaited resumption of creative marketing of the Vermonter
(and hopefully the Ethan Allen also) began with the news blurb this week that
all Saturdays and Sundays this month--April--will feature tickets between any
stations from St. Albans to Springfield, MA, will be $5.

    Presumably this means $10 roundtrip, kids 15 and below ride free.
Bicycles--as I recall--are $10 each--each way.   The Vermonter is excellent
for day trips from points north to points south--Montpelier to Brattleboro,
for example, allows you to lunch (Brattleboro has several good eateries
within walking distance of the train station), take in a movie at the
historic Latchis theater (multi screens), and shop.  You arrive at noon from
northern points, and leave at 5 p.m.  Same applies to Amherst, Mass. (less
time to mosey around), Bellows Falls/Windsor/White River Jct. (more time).
For St. Albans/Burlinton, you can spend an enitre day in Montpelier, arriving
at 9:10 a.m. and leaving at 7:52 p.m. to return north.  I believe that Onion
River Sports rents bicycles but you may want to call ahead to be sure.  Can
one imagine anything more fun than an entire day in Montpeier?  Well we now
have excellent Wheels half-hourly bus service to Barre and new serivces to
Waitsfield and Sugarbush (assume they will continue through this month).

    Taking a bike gives you some freedom at any of these stops, including the
opportunity in a Brattleboro destination to check out the State's newest
roundabout.  For northbound trips, it means an overnight to return south.