LISTSERV Archives

MLMATHNET Home

MLMATHNET  September 2000

MLMATHNET September 2000

Massachussets experience

Jim Abrams <[log in to unmask]>

Middle Level Mathematics Network <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:55:38 -0400

Re: Sharon James comments

There is no question that differences in student populations make 'high
stakes' testing problematic.  If you haven't seen of the Department of
Education's Webpage called the School Improvement Support Guide at
http://data.ed.state.vt.us/apg/index.html it is a very good example of
working to compare comparable schools and comparable student populations.

Sharon's comment is just one of a couple of good reasons that I hope
state-wide test results never go beyond the level specified in Act 60.  I
think the Legislature and the Department have done a commendable job of
walking the line between setting standards while not saddling everyone with
high stakes consequences that are inequitable.

Jim Abrams
Moderator