LISTSERV Archives

MLMATHNET Home

MLMATHNET  September 2000

MLMATHNET September 2000

Re: How is Massachussets fareing

John Tapper <[log in to unmask]>

Middle Level Mathematics Network <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:59:20 -0400

While I agree with both Alice and Beth that there is infinite value in the
process of gathering samples and local scoring that fact that the DOE
doesn't report the results back - even to the school - diminishes its
importance to the teachers.  I have heard many teachers say, "Who even
knows about them?"  When NSRE scores are reported to everyone, and
portfolio scores remain hidden, it has sent a message about the relative
value of each.  Ask the teachers.

I am NOT advocating public reporting of portfolio scores (in my opinion
public reporting causes more problems than it solves) but how can teachers
make use of portfolio data when they don't get any?  Yes, they can go to
calibrations or become official scorers.  Maybe up north everyone does
that?  But here we are lucky if a couple of the teachers go to a
calibration session.  There is a lot of uncertainty about local scoring.
Teachers aren't sure if their scoring really reflects what's going on with
their students and they would benefit GREATLY from feedback from the state.

The DOE has said all along that one of the major purposes of assessment is
to inform instruction.  If the portfolio scores are not reported back to
the schools this goal is not being accomplished, whatever other goals may
be won from local scoring.  Until this is remedied I think it goes beyond
whispering.  We should be clamoring to get this feedback to teachers so
they can use it to help their students and their own classroom practice.

John