]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  November 2000

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L November 2000

VT Assistant Bicycle & Pedestrian Coordinator Hired

"Bell, Amy" <[log in to unmask]>

Bell, Amy

Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:22:24 -0500

Dear VT Bicycling and Walking Advocates:

I am very pleased to announce that Jon Kaplan has accepted the Assistant
Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator position with the VT Agency of
Transportation (VTrans).  With the addition of this full-time position, more
emphasis and time can be devoted to promoting bicycling and walking as
viable transportation modes.  This brings the total number of VTrans staff
who spend at least 1/2  time on bicycle and pedestrian issues and projects
to seven.

Jon has extensive background in bicycle and pedestrian planning, design and
advocacy issues having worked for the Oregon Dept. of Transportation Bicycle
& Pedestrian Program and the Southern Windsor County VT Regional Planning
Commission.  Jon is a professional engineer by training and is able to bring
a unique perspective to this position having worked in both the public and
private sectors on transportation planning, design and construction projects
and more importantly specifically on bicycle and pedestrian issues.  Jon,
his wife Anne and son Jacob are avid recreational cyclists and regularly
bike and walk for transportation and infant son Isaac is destined to follow
suit.  The Kaplans are members of the VT Bicycle and Pedestrian Coalition
and they live in Randolph, VT.

Jon begins work at VTrans on November 13.  The first duties he will tackle
include expanded outreach to VT municipalities, expanded review of VTrans
project plans to insure accommodation of bicyclist and pedestrian needs and
development of bicycle and pedestrian education and outreach programs and
resources.

I'm thrilled to welcome Jon to VTrans and I'm confident he will be a real
asset to the Bicycle and Pedestrian Program.  In the coming weeks I will do
my best to introduce him to as many of you as possible.  I would also like
to thank you all for being so understanding and patient over the past 9-12
months as I have struggled to keep up with the ever expanding workload.
Thanks to your efforts at the local, state and regional levels and your
shear determination we are making a difference.  There is still a lot to
accomplish in the coming months and years, but I continue to be confident
that we're making progress and as always I welcome your input as we help
shape the future of Vermont's transportation system.

Amy H. Bell
Bicycle & Pedestrian Coordinator
VT Agency of Transportation
National Life Building, Drawer 33