]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  May 2001

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L May 2001

LOCAL MOTION: Bike Ferry & Island Line Updates

Chapin Spencer <[log in to unmask]>

Chapin Spencer <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 May 2001 01:48:19 -0400

Dear cycling, in-line skating and walking enthusiasts,

Here is the late-breaking trail and cycling news from Local Motion (formerly
Burlington Bikeways)
================================
LOCAL MOTION NEWS
JUNE 2001
================================

HELLO LOCAL MOTION!
Your friends at Burlington Bikeways would like to reintroduce ourselves as
Local Motion.  As we are building and advocating facilities for all
non-motorized travel in Burlington and beyond, we changed our name to Local
Motion to reflect our larger mission.  We realized that we were no longer
just about bikes nor just about Burlington.  We're still doing the same
great work on the Bike Ferry, the Island Line Rail Trail, Cycle the City and
now a trailside center on Burlington's waterfront!
================================

TRAILSIDE CENTER OPENING & BICYCLE EXPO ON JUNE 16th
Come celebrate Local Motion's new trailside resource center on the
Burlington Bikepath.  The trailside center will provide amenities, maps,
information, and a vintage bicycle exhibit for path users as well as meeting
space for bike/ped advocacy groups.  The Bike Expo from 11am to 4pm on June
16th will officially open the trailside center.  Want to set up a table for
your organization at the Expo?  Want to distribute maps, membership
materials, newsletters throughout the summer on the Burlington Bikepath?
Contact Chapin.
================================

BIKE FERRY TO OPEN IN APPROXIMATELY THREE WEEKS
The Winooski River Bike Ferry is getting ready to start!  Ferry service will
begin once the water level in Lake Champlain drops below 97.5 feet.
Expected start date is Saturday, June 23rd.  The Bike Ferry will operate
continuously on weekdays Noon to Sunset and weekends 10am to Sunset through
Labor Day.  Weekends through October.  $1 per person requested donation.
For the specific start date, call 652-BIKE.  Check out the Bike Ferry and
Lake Champlain Bikeways story in the summer edition of Vermont Life (page
71).
================================

BIKE FERRY SEASON PASSES AVAILABLE
If you would like information on season passes for the Winooski River Bike
Ferry, please email your name and address to [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .  You will receive Bike Ferry season pass
and Local Motion membership information via the mail in about 10 days.  We
hope you will consider supporting our efforts to develop the Bike Ferry and
Island Line - the "Holy Grail of Rail Trails."  The Island line's success
relies your support!
================================

SPECIAL BURLINGTON TO SOUTH HERO RIDE
On August 18th and 19th, Local Motion will operate a second Bike Ferry at
the cut on the Colchester/South Hero causeway giving you the opportunity to
cycle, walk or run between Burlington and South Hero through Lake Champlain!
For the first time, both Bike Ferries will be operating simultaneously.
Mark these dates on your calendar.  Special weekend events in South Hero
will double your fun!
================================

ISLAND LINE RAIL TRAIL MOVES CLOSER TO REALITY (PART ONE)
Efforts to extend the Burlington Bikepath up through the Champlain Islands
are gaining momentum.  After two years of work, the South Hero Rec Path
Committee and Local Motion presented a proposal to rehabilitate the Island
Line corridor between the causeway and South Hero's Martin Road to the
Selectboard last Monday night at the Town Hall.   Angelo Incerpi of Fish and
Wildlife pledged to work with Local Motion and the South Hero Rec Path
Committee to improve the corridor.  In the past, hunters and fishermen
thought that trail advocates wanted to outlaw hunting and fishing access
along the corridor.  The proposal does not seek to limit hunting or fishing
opportunities.  In fact, we hope to enhance access with fishing docks on the
causeway and a formalized parking area with a port-o-let at Martin Road.
For a full copy of the proposal, email Chapin Spencer at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .  Funds have been raised for the corridor
improvements.  Permit acquisition is underway.  Advocates aim to begin
improvements this season.
=================================

ISLAND LINE RAIL TRAIL MOVES CLOSER TO REALITY (PART TWO)
Local Motion and the towns of Colchester, South Hero and North Hero have
committed local match funds to secure a $30,000 grant from the Chittenden
County Metropolitan Planning Organization to plan a major stabilization of
the historic Colchester/South Hero causeway.  Built by the Rutland Railroad
in 1901, the Island Line causeway is the centerpiece of this emerging rail
trail.  The marble causeway, stretching 3.5 miles from Colchester Point to
Allen Point in South Hero, needs to be structurally stabilized.  Some
sections are eroding and a thorough renovation will protect this resource
for decades.  Stabilization work will not begin at least until the summer of
2002.
=================================

RAIL TRAIL MURAL UNDERWAY
Vermont artist Kate Hodges is supporting the Island Line Rail Trail by
painting a 18' high mural that will be placed prominently next to Union
Station on the Burlington Bikepath.  Stop by Local Motion's trailside center
to check on the mural's progress.  It shows cyclists, runners, in-line
skaters and even the Bike Ferry in wonderful color and movement.  We hope to
install the mural in time for Local Motion's grand opening on Saturday, June
16th.  Thank you Kate for donating much of your time.
=================================

FIRST EVER ISLAND LINE MAP UNFOLDS
The first-ever Island Line trail map is currently being designed and
printed.  This free, full-color resource will help guide people along the
Island Line rail trail from the Burlington Bikepath to the Bike Ferry and
onto the Colchester Causeway.  It will highlight the amenities and cultural
sites along the way.  Thank you to all the local shops and businesses that
are advertising in the first edition.

Happy Trails,

Chapin

Chapin Spencer
Local Motion, Executive Director
(formerly Burlington Bikeways)
1 Steele Street #103, Burlington, VT 05401
(802) 652-BIKE (phone/fax)
www.islandline.net <http://www.islandline.net/>