VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  August 2001

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L August 2001

Re: Bike/Ped Policy

Tue, 7 Aug 2001 07:43:39 -0400

Folks:

This  may be a little tardy, but one theme that appears to threaten
the establishment (not being well received in Montpelier) is the idea
of a downtown/village center/residential area network of carfree
space for bicycles and pedestrians.  The network, of course, can
be amplified somewhat to include roundabout/other easy crossings
at interesections with motor vehicles, traffic calming, etc.  However,
without a network of car free space downtowns and village centers
stagnate, so the economic argument works in our favor.  The "old"
paradigm of networks of bikepaths to connect towns and cities
needs to be replaced with human activity centers with non-
motorized pathways.  Sorry, bikers, our living space comes first,
then connections to the countryside and other towns and cities
comes second.  How times have changed in the last decade.

        We need to thank the bicycle community--the Trails and
Greenways Council led the way--to pedestrian and bicycle
investments in the 1990s in Vermont.  We now need to change
focus to the downtowns and village centers, particularly into "urban
human space" that totally fails to compete for AOT funding under
the current paradigm.

        Frankly this approach is not an exaggeration.  Try walking
around downtown and identify lots of old back alley formal and
informal pathways that are rund down closed or junked up with
modern urban flotsam and jetsam.

        We need to add these new concepts to our town, city, and
regional plans--like Germany did more than a decade ago when
they made this the approach to urban transport policy and put the
bucks behind it with a resulting increase of bike/ped modal share.

                                                                Tony