VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  August 2001

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L August 2001

Re: Williston's Liability

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 21:39:53 -0400

        Dear Peter et al:

        Have just spent almost three hours ending with an ongoing
battle with VAOT and the local Public Works Dept. over our
Montpelier/Berlin Bikepath Project.  We have been approved for
scoping, design and construction.   We will go to an informational
hearing in mid-September with a crossing of a high speed (40 mph
limit) arterial highway (US 2 near the old National Guard Armory)
versus my choice, a feasible (designs were done) grade separation
under a bridge; and, the effort now under way to create a median
deflector traffic calming device with a refuge for the crossing on
Barre Street that a former AOT Chief of Design described as a
"speed trap" area on Barre Street (a Montpelier official tonight
admitted getting speeding ticket there in the past).

        My plan---I have voted against the US 2 crossing and generated
safety analysis estimating about one pedestrian crash every eight
years--is to try to get some of our Bikepath Committee members to
stand up for safe crossing designs along the 4.3 mile path in
Montpelier/Berlin (both dangerous crossings on the eventual
Montpelier to Barre Central Vermont Regional Path are in
Montpelier in this part of of the project).  At least the AOT is honest
(hard not to be) as there are no US research studies yet on
intersection crash rates relating vehicle and pedestrian volumes.
Equations available are European, but some have been tested (Per
Garder at University of Maine at Orono) on a number of Maine
intersections with generally consistent results, i.e., the predicted
ped crashes at the intersections correlate quite well with actual
crash histories.

        I relate this not because I wished to vent--which clearly is part
of the tale here--but to relate the real experience of bicycle
committees and we as advocates when facing the "establishment"--
and the AOT folks we are dealing with here are th better ones!!  We
must be on guard on accepting relatively unsafe designs in the
name of "getting along" or a trade off for just getting the project
finished.

               Roundabouts

        I agree with Peter's letter.  Both he and I testified at Williston
more than once and I have submitted further information to the
Town.  There is some good news in the Vermont scene this week
(really I receive two to three contacts per week from folks here in
New England and New York).  First, Clarendon--after local uproar
over a fatality at US 7 mad VT 103 (the Bellows Falls turn) is
undertaking a roundabout feasibility study just a year and a half
after they went through an effort to have a study and were turned
down by the VAOT.  A death or two--unfortunately--was needed to
get them to approve a study on the key US 7 intersection along a
stretch of highway that literally divides their town in half.

Second, a current study of the Creek Road/US 7 intersection in
Middlebury is now expanding to include two additional intersections
adjacent on US 7--Mill Street and the shopping plaza (McDoinald's
out front).  A gigantic victory (it could not be bigger) may be in the
offing as a Keene citizens group after two years and bringing in
three of the four top roundabout practitioners in the world (plus
Garder and myelf as this is my home town) may blow out a $66
million bypass expansion and turn to a series of four roundabouts
along the main drag at about a third the costs, a saving of about 28
acres of wetlands, safety, etc., etc.  CLF is also involved in a court
suit (only thing that DOTs seem to respond to at this point and a
wetland suit bought the time for the local committee to do the
community education).   Stay tuned.

        What this means folks, if the Keene effort is successful, a full
frontal approach to turn the Shelburne Road projects around to
incorporate roundabouts (probably a total redesign), attacking the
foolish Kennedy Road expansion by first installing roundabouts at
key intersections, and then sweeping out the Circ for the time
being by dealing straight up with the true ciruclation problems in
the Burlington area from Main Street to VT 15 to attacking all the
downtown areas to plan and install networks of carfree space for
bicycles and pedestrians.  Victory is near, my friends!!!!

        Well for one who did not know a roundabout from a traffic circle
until 1992 when as an afterthought a guy by the name of Wallwork
was added to a bicycle design/ped facilities training by Dan Burden
as initiated by the VTBPC, the last nine years has been quite a
show.

        Let's keep working together to keep the show on the path!

                                                        Tony

Tony Redington
802-223-1744 (h)
[log in to unmask] (office)