LISTSERV Archives

MINIBAJA Home

MINIBAJA  September 2002

MINIBAJA September 2002

Baja

Rachael Van Wagner <[log in to unmask]>

Mini Baja Team List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:10:04 -0400

Hi Seth-
I noticed that you were thinking about entering the Baja car in a rally
race.  Honestly I think that is a terrible idea and I hope you don't pursue
that any farther.  #1 reason is insurance.  If something ever happened at a
rally race, that would be the end of UVM Mini Baja FOREVER.  If that is the
sort of thing that everyone is more interested in, then as a team you
should build a rally car, not a Baja car.  You all are really lucky that
you have a car to start with this year.  You know what we went though last
year and how far we have come in 1 year time.  John and Travis and I are
all hoping that you will take this opportunity to go forward with the
program and really capitalize on what you have.  We gained a lot of respect
and recognition at the two competitions so the pressure is on for this
years team, and we can only hope that you will put in the dedication to
live up to that.  I am not sure what you think you might gain from entering
in a rally race.  If you want to know how to make the car more competitive
for this year, Travis and myself can give you enough to keep you busy for
the next 10 months.
Overall it just makes me really sad that this is what the focus might
become for Mini Baja.  Everything I did last year was to give this year's
team an edge that we didn't have.  You guys are starting off with a running
car, a budget, contacts for fund-raising, and the knowledge of all the
mistakes we made so you can learn from them.  Maybe Formula SAE is
something you will want to look into, but not with the Baja Car.
Rachael

Rachael Van Wagner
Field Engineer
BTV Major Construction, Dept. NU4A