Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  September 2002

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L September 2002

Bike/Ped funding being reduced

VT Bicycle/Pedestrian Coalition <[log in to unmask]>

VT Bicycle/Pedestrian Coalition <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:32:46 -0400

PUBLIC HEARING - TOMORROW (WED.) NIGHT - see below!

Bicycle/Pedestrian funding is being reduced in the statewide transportation
program (STIP = Statewide Transportation Improvement Program)

** Public hearing **

  Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2002
    locations around the state - 7:15 pm
    via Vermont Interactive Television

    link to directions:  http://www.vitlink.org/HTML/sites.htm

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN ATTEND IN YOUR PART OF THE STATE.

***** MORE INFORMATION & STRATEGY NOTES *****

I apologize for the late notice:  I only got the details on this hearing
from Jon Kaplan last night, so I haven't had time to really look at it
closely.

At first read, here's my preliminary understanding of proposed cuts:

 - Bike/Ped funding outside of Chittenden County is being reduced
   from approx $2 million to $500,000.  *see below

 - $2 million enhancements program in 2003 & 2004 is budgeted at $0 in 2005.

*Now, there are some complications to this - because Chittenden County is I
think getting more funding than in past years, and money does move around
from year to year, in actuality.

I think it would be quite beneficial to our cause if we can get a couple
people to testify - very simply - in support of maintaining bicycle and
pedestrian funding.  It is key to keep testimony short and POSITIVE, and to
emphasize broad community benefits (health, walk/bike to school).

Because we haven't had time to really analyze the numbers, I would avoid
numbers-based testimony.  I would also avoid over-emphasizing bicycle
commuting, but rather present bicycle and pedestrian facilities as part of a
a balanced transportation structure.  I'd also recommend avoiding strongly
environmental or oil-saving arguments - keep it mainstream.

Written comments are due October 16, and I hope we can do more analysis to
present strong, official testimony in writing.  I will send this along to
all of you as I have a chance to sort it out with Amy Bell & Jon Kaplan's
help.

I have asked to be on the official mailing list for this information in the
future, so hopefully next year we will have more advance notice.

The process on this is:
  - Legislature ALREADY passed annual Capital Program = budget + earmarks.
  - STIP and Capital Program are being mushed together now.
  - VTrans is ultimate decider of STIP working within federal/state budgets.
      (Chittenden Co MPO also has similar decision-making power.)
  - STIP will be approved by Federal Highway & Federal Transit, but does not
    need other legislative approval or public process.

*************************
Key talking points:

+ understand that bicycle/pedestrian funding is being reduced in the STIP
    (don't go into details)

+ bicycle/pedestrian facilities are part of a balanced transportation
  structure.

+ bicycle/pedestrian facilities promote healthy communities, enable kids to
  walk and bicycle to schools.

+ we understand that in face of reduced funding, cuts need to be made, but
  we would advocate for racheting down across the board, rather than cutting
  bicycle/pedestrian and transit funding while increasing spending for
  roads.

+ speak as an individual - not representing Vermont Bicycle Pedestrian
  Coalition, since we don't yet have a position on this.

I'd try to keep the message simple and main-stream.  Ask VTrans for a
balanced transportation system.  Keep it positive (PRO Bike, PRO Walk), not
anti-car or anti-roads.

The primary goal is simply to have a few voices in support of "walking and
bicycling".

Please let me know if you can attend your local hearing - I'll be headed to
the one in Colchester.

Becka Roolf, Director
Vermont Bicycle Pedestrian Coalition
  PO Box 4003 . Burlington VT . 05406