VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  September 2002

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L September 2002

Re: Letter in response to MacLeay crash

Fri, 6 Sep 2002 06:58:46 -0400

MORE ON VERMONTER/ETHAN ALLEN BIKES ON BOARD

THE National Association of Railroad Passenger puts the blame for taking the
baggage car for bikes/skis off on the State of Vermont and not Amtrak. Here is the
response of Amtrak to my message:

Mr. Redington:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the capacity for bicycles on the
Vermonter. I would have responded to you last week, but I have just
returned from vacation today and am catching up to a week's worth of
correspondence.

First, I must tell you that we are appreciative of your recognition of
Amtrak's financial situation -- our "dire straits," as you call them.
Please know that you are not at risk of exaggerating with such a term. The
considerable public discussion we generated at the end of June with our
statement that we might have to shut down the entire national system was
based on the reality that we literally could not make our payroll in
mid-July. We're back from the brink now for the time being, but with
Congress yet to complete action on our FY '03 appropriation, and with a
meaningful discussion on Capitol Hill about our long-term future still
pending, we're not too far from the brink. We'll be laying off another 500
people at the end of this month, on top of 1,000 layoffs in the past 12
months, meaning that we continue to work in a difficult environment.

As for the baggage car, it became a victim of simple underuse. I do not
have the exact numbers at my fingertips, but I do know that the number of
bikes, skis, and everything else carried in the car was, unfortunately,
inconsequential. The costs of maintaining the car, the required added fuel
it required and the fact that we plan to decrease the running time of the
train by as much as 30 minutes without the car all are very substantial.

On the specifics for an alternative to the baggage car, I want to assure you
that we will look at every possible service and marketing alternative. We
work very closely with a committee we formed with the cycling communitee
about two years ago -- we call it the Bikes on Board Committee. It was
formed at the suggestion of some people we work with in the East Coast
Greenway Alliance, and we have found its members to be creative and
articulate in giving us their ideas.

Finally, I want to assure you that have been and we remain in very close
contact with state rail officials on this matter and other decisions
regarding service in Vermont. No decisions are made here arbitrarily. It
might be true that in the best of all worlds the state (and Vermont is not
alone in this regard) would hope to see its money go further in providing
service. But the fact is that in every one of the four Northeast Corridor
states in which we run service under contract (VT, ME, NY & PA) Amtrak loses
money. We have good working relations with the transportation officials in
each state -- relations in which we are trying to make the state dollar go
as far as it can. I see no letup in this effort at all.

Again, thank you for your e-mail.

 -- Bill Epstein
    Director of Government Affairs
    Amtrak Northeast Corridor