LISTSERV Archives

MLMATHNET Home

MLMATHNET  September 2003

MLMATHNET September 2003

Re: gifted students

Kathy Nolan <[log in to unmask]>

Middle Level Mathematics Network <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:05:47 -0400

I would like to strengthen our offerings for our strong math students.

 Currently we have all students placed in heterogeneous math classes and use
the MATH Thematics program.  Additionally, eighth graders can take an
Algebra class during the same time slot as chorus is offered.  However,
students still need to take a placement test for 9th grade and cannot be
placed in Geometry or Algebra II.  Their options for ninth grade are Algebra
I, IMP, or Honors Math (if their score is high enough).  The Honors Math
program is designed to offer 4 years of high school math in three years
time.

I find it difficult to challenge the really strong math student within the
regular classroom.  By 7th and 8th grade, they are ready to roll... and I
would love to have an opportunity for them to do just that.

Kathy Nolan
North Country Union Junior High School
Derby, VT