]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MLMATHNET Home

MLMATHNET  September 2003

MLMATHNET September 2003

Re: Should you drop the 6th grade of a K-6 program?

Nancy Pollack <[log in to unmask]>

Middle Level Mathematics Network <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:51:22 -0400

Hi Jim,
I've been thinking about the same thing lately.  After evaluating some
of the work my colleagues and I have done correlating the GLEs with EDM
learning goals, I'm wondering whether the amount of time we are spending
on content that will not be assessed by GLEs in 6th grade is valuable?
Some of my staff members have been wondering about reducing the number
of EDM algebra units in the 6th grade program in favor of working with
CMP units to fill some of the holes.  One downside of this would mean
that 6th grade teachers would need to manage two math programs, and the
students would need to adapt as well (though they'd get some earlier
"CMP" experience).  Other staff members question whether or not the 6th
grade CMP units as a whole would better meet the GLEs in addition to
being a more complete implementation of the program (as it was
intended).

I know some schools adopted EDM 6 over CMP 6 due to the content being
more 'rigorous,' but now I'm wonder whether the rigor is in the right
place.

Soon we'll be working to correlate the GLEs for grades 7 and 8 to CMP
and I think we'll be better able to tackle such questions after this
work has been done.

Sincerely,
Nancy Pollack

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/29/03 12:26PM >>>

I recently had a principal ask me the following question:

"We have Everyday Math in grades K-6 and Connected Math in grades 7
and
8.

Should we drop the 6th grade of EM in favor of starting the Connecting
Math earlier?"

If you have faced and thought about this kind of question - whether to
drop the last year of the elementary program (at grade 6) in order to
get the full three years of the middle school program - what would
your
advice be?  What has your school done?  How would you evaluate the
success so far?

Post your response to the middle school Net (by hitting reply) so we
can
all gain from each others thoughts and experiences.

This is one of the most important purposes of this Net.  For educators
involved in building improved student performance, to share questions,
thoughts and experiences.  We are faced with so much change, and so
much
challenge.  There's no reason we should be forced to 'reinvent' each
new
piece alone.

Jim

Jim Abrams