LISTSERV Archives

MLMATHNET Home

MLMATHNET  September 2003

MLMATHNET September 2003

Re: gifted students

Barbara Velasquez <[log in to unmask]>

Middle Level Mathematics Network <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:23:31 -0400

Kathy,
     I teach at Essex Middle School. EMS has a minimum of 170 eighth graders
each year.  We routinely schedule at least two Algebra and one Geometry class
during the 8th grade year.
  The Geometry is a very small class taught during Enrichment Period.  (A study
hall for most, but Band, Orchestra and Chorus also meet at this time...meaning
my students must make a choice.  The music teachers and I manage to share quite
satisfactorily)
  Algebra classes are scheduled by each team.  On my team (about 100 students)
the students are not tracked elsewhere just because of the Algebra placement.
The rest of the day they are spread throughout 3 core classes. (Clearly,
however, they are not available for other subjects during that one period they
are with me. The science teacher may be the one to most notice a lack of highest
ability students available during that period, but Language Arts and Social
Studies usually have other stars who do not necessarily shine in math.)
   I sometimes have two Algebra sections, which means every other discipline
has a pool of high flyers available every period.
Advanced math classes do not have to control the scheduling...but scheduling is
not as easy, and is best handled by each team rather than by the office or
guidance personnel. I can work through 100 students, but would not want to deal
with 550!
   No, the high school does not give credit for these courses.  Placement only.
(And for those super advanced Geometry kids, there is need to find college
courses for the senior year because they have had Calculus as juniors.)
   The effort is worth the aggravation...our brightest deserve as great a
challenge in math as all others.
Barb Velasquez

Are the schools that offer high school courses to middle level kids giving
high school credit for the course?  Does the scheduling of these courses
require that students be 'tracked' for other classes too?  I especially
would like to hear from other middle schools or junior high schools.  How
are these issues being handled?

Kathy Nolan
North Country Union Junior High School
Derby VT