MONTPELIER TRANSPORTATION VISIONING

TONY REDINGTON <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:41:32 -0400

The City of Montpelier (8,000 population) held a transportation visioning
session last night with about 40 participants, an event guided by Smart
Mobility of Norwich, VT.  After identifying current conditions, trends and
various transportation options the audience outlined a list of concerns
and current City transportation strengths.  Then four teams were formed to
work independently on a vision and utilized a large City map for an
individual team to put down ideas.  The maps already had existing
bikepaths, public transport routes, roads, etc.  Note there were two
advocates of roundabouts there (myself and a former City councilor)
neither of whom used the R word in their groups.  What was the result
when the teams reported?  All teams came up with two major themes--and
outline of a strong intra-community public transit service expansion and
system....and roundabouts.  Both were, in my view, were unexpected.
Conversion of several intersection were mentioned as possibilities, but
the one that most suggested as the first priority is the intersection at
the base of Main Street (level of service F) that is the gateway to the
interstate and other federal and State routes to the east and south.

In addition, Curt McCormack (Montpelier Bikepath Committee and City Planning
Commission)  was present.  There was also strong support from all to complete and
expand the bicycle path system, partially as a feeder to a transit system and
partially in view of the fact that that is ongoing.