Winooski River Bridge Opening

David Jacobowitz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:21:32 -0400

Will Flender sends this invitation and appeal.  Dave J.
========
  Greetings fellow bicyclists,

I have a personal request, probably my last as part of the Burlington
Bicycle Council, as I am moving away in a matter of weeks.

Though I work for Local Motion and am intimately involved with the
planning of the bridge opening, I am writing as a citizen, Bike Council
Member and bicyclist to strongly encourage you to attend this weekend's
dedication of the Winooski River Trail Bridge!

Your attendance is imperative!
We need to show our elected officials that this bridge means a lot to
the community, regardless of the cost and regardless of controversy and
that we want more bike and pedestrian facilities installed around the
region, the state and the nation. The larger the turnout the better! I
would like to see there be more people at this event than at the opening
of any other transportation facility in the history of Vermont (roads,
rails and airports included)! I know people are busy, but please, this
is a big event and a large turnout will go a long way, so put off your
plans and spend an hour at the bridge on Sunday (make it part of a
family walk, skate or bike ride, canoe or kayak trip).

The biggest thing in biking, walking and in-line skating since....
I would argue that the opening of the bridge is the biggest thing to
happen to biking, in-line skating, walking and running in Chittenden
County (and certainly in Burlington) since the first section of the
Burlington Bike Path was constructed over 20 years ago! The difference
is that today we know what an impact the bridge will have (and has
already had), not just on Burlington and Colchester but the entire
region and even the entire state, whereas in the early 80s, people did
not know the level of joy, fun, utility, economic impact and pride the
path would bring (well illustrated today by it's heavy use on weekends
and signs of age in places). So please join me and celebrate this
momentous occasion.

Don't just cross the bridge, say thank you
I've ridden my bike across the bridge countless times already but I want
to thank the public officials who lead the way for this awesome bridge
to be built and I hope you will join me. Don't just say "Wow, what a
great bridge, I've ridden it, I don't need to go to a ribbon cutting!"
and go back to your Sunday coffee, come out and celebrate. In 5 years,
people will have forgotten the controversies and will think "how did we
ever live without it?" So come out and show those who would oppose
projects like this that we have forgotten the controversy and that we
are excited to see more bike and pedestrian facilities built in the
future, regardless of cost. The more we say thank you, the more they
will remember us when it comes time to craft the state's budget for
bicycle and pedestrian facilities (remember bike and pedestrian projects
only account for a minuscule amount in the overall state budget).

Fun
And, hey, it's going to be fun! There's going to be free food, a display
of historic photos of the crossing (from the railroad days through the
bike ferry days, to the present), and the community portrait (a
helicopter is going to come and take a photo of everyone on the bridge).

If you go to one event this year to advocate for better bicycle and
pedestrian facilities, come to Sunday's opening. This is your best
chance to show our elected officials how great this bridge is (and
remember, it sure beats a boring old meeting)!

Thanks to everyone and I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

Will

PS the original invite follows for those who might have missed it.