]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  August 2005

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L August 2005

Re: US Bicycle Fatalities Higher than European

Tony Redington <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:10:48 -0400

On a more positive note--

One place where there is lots of space and a wasteland for bikers is
the downtown area of Rutland.  Could act as a spine to a network of
car free space.  Make it easier to get to Walmart.  We do have a form
of cycle track--a bikepath--built with federal funds it parallels the
sidewalk on Dorset Street in Burlington, a road rebuilt in the 90s.

This all fits into the need for each urban area of Vermont (there are
seven--now called "Micro NECTAs by Census) to carry out a bike/ped
plan that would deal with roundabouts, networks of car free space,
parallel bike tracks, etc.  As usual, Anne has something going here
that provides an incentive for the bike community to support what is
some may view as a pedestrian need, unfortunately always the lowest
on the totem pole of transportation considerations.