]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  August 2005

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L August 2005

Fwd: New rules of the road for Colorado cyclists

VT Bike & Ped Coalition <[log in to unmask]>

VT Bike & Ped Coalition <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:45:07 -0400

This is relevant to Vermont - in that our 2 abreast law faces ongoing
contention, we do not currently allow bicyclists to signal a right turn
with a right arm (although I have seen many of you doing this anyhow!),
and bicyclists using a crosswalk in Vermont must currently dismount in
order to gain the right of way in a crosswalk.

VT Bike Ped - looks out for laws that threaten the right to ride two
abreast, we are working on the turn signal change, and we need to
decide strategically what position we want to have about the crosswalk
issue, should it come up -- as there are pros and cons to the issue.

----------

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/
0,1299,DRMN_15_3890132,00.html

Rocky Mountain News

0,1299,DRMN_15_3890132,00.html Dennis Schroeder  News

  (photo caption)
Bicyclists ride into Boulder on U.S. 36 just north of the city on
Monday. New rules for cyclists take effect Friday. Among other things,
the rules will allow two cyclists to ride side by side as long as they
don't impede traffic. New rules of the road for Colorado cyclists

By Jolie Breeden, Rocky Mountain News
June 29, 2005

Colorado cyclists will see the fulfillment of long-sought changes in
bicycle traffic regulations Friday, including the go-ahead to have a
conversation while they ride side by side.

On Friday, a new law takes effect replacing legislation that said
bicycles were allowed on the road only single-file.

The bicycle safety bill, signed June 3 by Gov. Bill Owens, allows
bicyclists to ride two abreast, allows them to signal a right turn
using their right arms, and pardons them from dismounting in a
crosswalk.

"The statutes were out of date," said the bill's Senate sponsor, Ron
Tupa, D-Boulder. "The laws were really unreasonable in regards to what
was happening out there."

Many of the current laws are flouted by cyclists who often travel side
by side or ride their bikes through crosswalks.

Tupa, who called the bill's provisions "common-sense updates," said
that may be caused by cyclists from out of state assuming laws here are
similar to the rest of the country. Until now, they weren't.

"Colorado had these unique laws that nobody else had," said Dan Grunig
of Bicycle Colorado, a Denver-based organization that lobbied for the
safety bill.

Colorado was one of only six states that required cyclists to ride
single-file, and one of 28 states requiring that a right-turn signal be
made with the left arm, according to a study by MIT professor Paul
Schimek.

Similar bills have been introduced at least three times in the past
five years, Tupa said, but the timing just wasn't right. The growing
number of people cycling for tourism, transportation and environmental
reasons may have helped change that.

"All our bike laws are written like they hated bicyclists," said
Shellie Roy, of Aspen.

Roy, who refers to herself as a pedestrian cyclist, was severely
injured when she was hit by an SUV while riding her bike in a
crosswalk. Since Roy was mounted on her bike, the motorist wasn't cited
in the accident.

Cyclists may find the new rules to be an improvement, but the effects
on law enforcement officials are still unclear.

"It remains to be seen how it will play out," said James Burrus,
spokesman for Boulder County. "I think the real big element on the (two
abreast rule) will be the impeding of traffic."

Burrus said Boulder County has been increasing the size of road
shoulders to keep cyclists safe.

"As long as cyclists keep in mind that there are vehicles out on the
road, any courtesy they extend helps the overall motorist-cyclist
relationship," Burrus said. "And the same goes for motorists, too. Any
courtesy helps."

New bike rules

Features of the bicycle safety law, which goes into effect Friday:

 Riding abreast: Two cyclists will be allowed to ride side by side, as
long as they don't impede traffic.

 New signal: Right-hand turns may be signaled by extending the right
arm, but the traditional crooked-left-arm signal will still be valid,
too.

 Pedestrian rights: Cyclists on sidewalks and crosswalks (where
allowed by local ordinances) will be accorded the same rights as
pedestrians. However, pedestrians still have the right of way over
bikes.

 Police reports: Police will file an accident report for bicyclists
upon request, even when no motor vehicle is involved.

Copyright 2005, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/legislature/article/
0,1299,DRMN_37_3889796,00.html

Other bicycling information:
Bike maps
http://admin.denvergov.org/Bikemaps>

Bicycle Master Plan:
http://www.denvergov.org/Bicycle_Program/59810116template3jump.asp

Bicycle Parking:
http://www.denvergov.org/Bicycle_Program/template2606.asp
--
Na Kama Hele - advocacy for traditional forms of travel