Some ideas for conversation starters:
1. What kind of music do you like? Art? Sports?
2. What TV shows are you hooked on? Is it a guilty pleasure or are you
willing to admit to it in public?
3. Worst work crunch (students and faculty) you?ve ever had at UVM.
4. Dumbest thing you?ve done at UVM.
5. What?s hardest about being a professor? What?s hardest about being
6. Why is the sky blue?
7. If the people at the table to jointly be president (or at least the
cabinet) in the next administration, what would be the most effective
three things they could do to slow global warming?
8. Why do teachers get paid so much less than professional basketball players?
9. Could the US elect a woman or an African-American or Jew or a
10. What do you think of the humongous new UVM building going up on
11. How can we get UVM students competing across campus (or with other
schools) for ?green-ness??
12. How can we get more accepted VT high school kids to come here?
What?s most important to publicize? ? to change? ? to keep the same?
13. A little more personal: Think back and come up with a conversation
in your life which turned out in retrospect to be very important but
you didn?t realize it at the time (or felt uneasy but suppressed it).
14. Nothing to do with the war in Iraq (unless the topic comes up
Quoting Jacqueline Elizabeth Bell <[log in to unmask]>:
> Hi all,
> I hope everyone has gotten EM Ball tickets and have begun selling.
> There have only be a couple of us showing up at the meetings and this
> needs to be an entire council effort. I only received one person's
> schedule regarding selling tickets for the next two weeks monday
> through friday in Votey from 9-2 (or time between then when people are
> available). As a dean's council we are representing everyone in CEMS
> and it would be terrible to not have a successful EM Ball.
> Please let me know when you are available to sell tickets. Also,
> everyone will need to get there an hour early to help set up on Feb.
> 23rd. Can anyone pick up mardi gras decorations? Also the dean wanted
> to have a list of questions at each table, kind of like an ice breaker,
> to get students and faculty talking. Can anyone do that? Any other
> ideas to get students and faculty to intermingle??