Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L Home

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L  February 2007

VTBIKEPEDPOLICY-L February 2007

Stuart Richards' Comments

"David W. Jacobowitz" <[log in to unmask]>

David W. Jacobowitz

Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:57:20 -0500

Dear List,
Stuart Richards has asked me to distribute his comments on the Ped
Bike Plan.
Dave
==============
STUART L. RICHARDS

PO Box 156, #82 Elm Street
Norwich, Vermont 05055
Tel:  802-649-3928
Fax:  802-649-3928

February 4, 2007

Mr. Scott Bascom, Planning Coordinator
Policy and Planning Division
VT Agency of Transportation
National Life Building, Drawer 33
Montpelier, VT 05633-5001

Dear Mr. Bascomb:

Re:  Vermont Pedestrian and Bicycle Plan Executive Summary

My comments are based on having lived in many different sized Vermont
communities for the last 40 years, using my bicycle for both
transportation
and recreation.  There is much in this plan  that is encouraging to me
as a
pedestrian, bicyclist and motorist. Unfortunately, the lack of specificity
in the plan will, in my view, keep it from accomplishing it¹s stated
objectives.  I hope you will pay close attention to the email that Rick
Hubbard sent you since I agree with most of the points that he made,
although perhaps he does not carry them quite far enough.

First, the Vision statement is incorrect. It states,  ³The State of Vermont
provides safe, convenient and accessible conditions for bicyclists and
pedestrians of all ages and abilities.²   The statement should read, ³The
State of Vermont seeks to provide safe, convenient, enjoyable and
accessible
conditions for bicyclists and pedestrians of all ages and abilities.²   The
reason for the change is that Vermont does not currently provide these
conditions but hopes to in the future.  I have added the word
³enjoyable²
since unless conditions are enjoyable, attempts to promote bicycling
and
pedestrian activity will be much less successful.  Similarly, throughout
the
document, wherever the word convenient is used, the word
³enjoyable² should
be used as well.

This document fails to mention the importance of shoulders, crosswalks,
storm drains, and  guard rails.  I am deeply disturbed by Vermont¹s
continued failure to place at least 3 foot paved shoulders on ALL roads
and
the failure to require municipalities to include this in their town plans.
Equally distressing is the elimination or minimization of paved shoulders
where they previously existed when maintenance and replacement
projects are
undertaken.  The placement of storm drains below road surfaces and
the use
of certain types of drains is a menace to cyclists.  In addition, the guard
rails most commonly used with their very sharp top edge are extremely
dangerous to any cyclist, pedestrian or motorist who lands on that
edge.
There are guardrails made  which have a broad, dull, less dangerous
top
edges.  Or, if a different rail is not selected, why not modify the existing
³standard² rail so that the top edge does not menace anyone who
makes
contact with it?

Crosswalks and sidewalks are important for pedestrian safety.  There
should
be more of them and specific numbers, requirements and standards
should be
established and listed in this plan.

Based on years of observation, many guard rails are being installed
with no
space between the pavement edge and the guardrail.  This type of
installation for both new and replacement guardrails forces the cyclist or
pedestrian toward the dangerous,  traveled portion of the road.
Wherever
possible, all guardrails should be installed at least two feet from the
pavement edge and the policy should state this.

Lastly, the Policy Statement says: At each stage of planning, design,
construction, implementation, operations and maintenance activities,
VTrans-funded projects and programs, wherever reasonably feasible,
should
accommodate PROMOTE pedestrians and bicyclists USAGE. New
projects, road
reconstruction projects and capacity improvements will maintain or
improve
existing access and conditions for pedestrians and bicyclists.  Please
consider changing the word ³accommodate²  in line 3 to ³promote²
and add the
word ³usage.²

Thank you very much for considering my comments and thank you also
for the
time and effort expended and still to be expended to attempt to
promote
bicycle and pedestrian use.   Your efforts and those of your colleagues
and
associates are very much appreciated.  As Rick Hubbard has noted,
you¹ve
made a good start, now it¹s time to get down to the specifics and
details,
without which the Plan is likely to fail.

Sincerely,

Stuart L. Richards

SLR: mtf