Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MINIBAJA Home

MINIBAJA  February 2008

MINIBAJA February 2008

here's the deal

Michael Connelly Murray <[log in to unmask]>

Mini Baja Team List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:28:46 -0500

Team,

So I'm currently in an awkward position and mood in regards to the
progress we are making. In no way is anything in this message directed
towards anyone. I just want to get a few things out there and a few
things off my back.

I admit that maybe my leadership skills haven't always been the best
or that I haven't always done the most efficient job at organizing
team tasks. But in my own defense, this has been a big learning
experience/curve for me being in a position I haven't exactly been in
before. So the past is the past and we need to push forward and look
at the task at hand. I have and will do whatever I know how to do as
far as keeping tasks on track and making sure things are ready to be
completed. What I can't keep doing is taking on these tasks as much as
I can in hopes to try to complete them myself. This isn't fair to the
team and in the end isn't fair to myself.

There is a nice handful of young/first year team members who are very
interested in the team and I feel bad that there hasn't been a lot of
hands on work you've doing yet. At the same time, we have a group of
returning students who are aware of the amount of work that goes into
successfully building a car. I am asking for support in finally being
able to accept that if an honest group effort is a failure as a team,
it is better than people killing themselves over every little detail
on their own.

Like I said, this message is in no way directed towards anyone on the
team at all. I just sort of needed to rant a bit and express my
concerns. And I don't think I have to mention that classes are always
the most important thing. That is what you are here for.

If we are going to continue pushing forward and starting making more
progress I need to ensure that all you first year members who have
been doing a good job at consistently showing up keep doing so, and
that the returning team members come forward to take on certain tasks
needed to get this car built. The final result of seeing a car you
built is the most rewarding aspect of the club and I'd hate for that
to not happen.

I hope you understand the purpose and morals behind this message and
what needs to happen for us to be successful.

Thanks for listening and keeping an interest.

Mike

Michael C. Murray
2009 Mechanical Engineering Undergrad
Team Captain - UVM Mini Baja - (Catamount Racing)

518-469-8184

http://www.uvm.edu/~minibaja/2006-2007/