LISTSERV Archives

CEMSDSAC Home

CEMSDSAC  December 2009

CEMSDSAC December 2009

[SPAM?:##] by others who stand on a s

Konrad <[log in to unmask]>

CEMS Dean's Student Advisory Council <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Dec 2009 08:56:25 +0100

Weary Walker, stick out your head!" And then, after a pause,
satirically, when the head was out, "Stick it in again!" On the stones
there were the sounds of feet--feet with lazy purpose--loud feet down
wooden steps, bound for pleasure. At the windows there were lights,
where dull thumbs moved down across a page. Let A equal B to find our Z.
And let it be quick about it, before the student nod! And to the
Freshman, crouching in the shadow, it seemed at last that he was a part
of this life, with its music, its voices, its silent elms, the dim
buildings with their lights, the laughter and the glad feet sounding in
the dark. I came now, rambling on this black wintry morning, before the
sinister walls of Skull and Bones. I sat on a fence and contemplated the
building. It is as dingy as ever and, doubtless, to an undergraduate, as
fearful as ever. What rites and ceremonies are held within these dim
walls! What awful celebrations! The very stones are grim. The chain
outside that swings from post to post is not as other chains, but was
forged at midnight. The great door has a black spell upon it. It was on
such a door, iron-bound and pitiless, that the tragic Ygraine beat in
vain for mercy. It is a breach of etiquette for an undergraduate in
passing even to turn and look at Bones. Its name may not be mentioned to
a member of the society, and one must look furtively around before
pronouncing it. Now as I write the word, I feel a last vibration of the
fearful tremor. Seniors compose its membership--fifteen or so, and
membership is ranked as the highest honor of the college. But in God's
name, what is all this pother? Are there not already enough jealousies
without this one added? Does not college society already fall into
enough locked coteries without this one? No matter how keen is the pride
of membership, it does not atone for the disappointments and the
heart-burnings of failure. It is hinted obscurely for expiation that it
and its