]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CEMSDSAC Home

CEMSDSAC  December 2009

CEMSDSAC December 2009

[SPAM?:##] was rolling gently along the ridge. Raised above ou

Bascomb <[log in to unmask]>

CEMS Dean's Student Advisory Council <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:26:15 +0100

Mory of his name. "His courtship had lasted some time--ever since he got
his precarious footing in the community. It began by his buying for Amy
Foster a green satin ribbon in Darnford. This was what you did in his
country. You bought a ribbon at a Jew's stall on a fair-day. I don't
suppose the girl knew what to do with it, but he seemed to think that
his honourable intentions could not be mistaken. "It was only when he
declared his purpose to get married that I fully understood how, for a
hundred futile and inappreciable reasons, how--shall I say odious?--he
was to all the countryside. Every old woman in the village was up in
arms. Smith, coming upon him near the farm, promised to break his head
for him if he found him about again. But he twisted his little black
moustache with such a bellicose air and rolled such big, black fierce
eyes at Smith that this promise came to nothing. Smith, however, told
the girl that she must be mad to take up with a man who was surely wrong
in his head. All the same, when she heard him in the gloaming whistle
from beyond the orchard a couple of bars of a weird and mournful tune,
she would drop whatever she had in her hand--she would leave Mrs. Smith
in the middle of a sentence--and she would run out to his call. Mrs.
Smith called her a shameless hussy. She answered nothi