Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

MINIBAJA Home

MINIBAJA  April 2010

MINIBAJA April 2010

Next Year's Drivetrain

"Robert J. Dzieciol" <[log in to unmask]>

Robert J. Dzieciol

Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:55:35 -0400

At Monday's meeting we had a good discussion on what we should use for
next year's drivetrain. We considered belts but couldn't come up with
a good solution so many of you were in favor of a chain and sprocket
design. I did some more research on the belts and found that it is
possible to do a complete belt drive. If you have time read through
these links, there is a lot of good information there. After reading
all of this I think it is the best way to go.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=7468&location_id=11347
This is an overview of the type of belt we would use. It says that
these belts match the capacity of a chain of the same width. One of
our issues on Monday was that a belt would be too wide, but apparently
not.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=5262&location_id=6196
This is a good article comparing belts to chain.

http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/overview.php?lang=us
These belts are being used on bicycles instead of chains.

In one of the links above it says that these belts are ideal for
applications that experience shock loading, which is what caused our
current gearbox to fail. Also keep in mind that the team who told us
about this company said that they give belts to Baja teams for free.
So read this stuff over and let me know if you have any comments or
ideas.

Rob

PLEASE READ!!!!
List is now configured to send replies to the original poster. This will cut down on responses intended for the original sender from getting sent to the entire list. If you wish to reply to the list, enter "[log in to unmask]" (without the quotes)